Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Insects and Art


While wondering through the interweb, I came across an interesting article in an unusual place. It was a piece done about art, and it was in the science section of the New York Times online. Right away, I was intrigued. It is an article discussing how various artists are going all natural by using items that come straight from the earth in their artwork. I think that by putting a peice like this in the science section is a way to read something that you would not normally read. I appreciate the idea of thinking outside of the box when doing such peices, especially stories that can relate to not just one group of people, but multiple. The image shown above uses soil for the skin, moss and leaves for the extremeties.
The introduction to this article directly addresses the who. It discusses an artist that collects cockroaches to use in his artwork. It is a well written introduction that makes you say 'what?', let me read more!
"The word organic means different things to different people. To the gardener it means compost heaps. To the chemist it means carbon compounds. To the artist, Fabian Pena, it means American cockroaches, those chunky nocturnal creatures often seen skittering around drainpipes or on the street."
I thouroughly appreciate introductions such as this because they are something that I struggle with in my writings. They create a reason for the reader to continue on. I feel that mine tend to make a reader want to stop. Hopefully one day, my introductions will entrap a reader (or one of my photographs), enough to engage them and have them continue learning on about the story. After all, isn't that the point of journalistic story telling?

No comments:

Post a Comment